birding-aus

Birding-aus a forum?

To: <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Birding-aus a forum?
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:03:11 +1100
Kevin, well said! Following Peter's message I also switched from digest mode
(just today) and am already seeing the benefits. Coincidentally I had been
meaning to do it this week, and this thread has given me a kick along (thanks
Claire). I had also encountered the problems mentioned with digest mode and am
now filtering birding-aus messages to a separate folder which I can read
whenever I wish - I haven't looked at birding-aus for a week or more (and was
amazed at how much doubling up occurred on this thread), and I wouldn't want
all those emails in my inbox - I also find checking the archives very handy in
these instances - much quicker than email digests.

Can I make a suggestion? Those that can cope with filtering individual mails
switch from digest mode (filtering the individual messages to a separate
folder), thereby adding value to the current system by increasing the posts
linked to the original thread and making it easier to contribute to the
discussion (which is one of the main aims of this forum, not just reading other
people's posts, no?). Those that don't want to - it's your choice, but consider
the benefits as Kevin outlined and remember you can still check the archives
and not be tooo far behind (unless they're down). I too think the digest mode
should be killed unless there were enough people who wanted it kept going (is
there a way of doing a brief survey of only digest users, explaining the issues
and giving users a chance to decide? Probably an administrative nightmare). The
only real reason I can think of for not doing this is the problem with emails
banking up.

Would it be possible to explain the issues with the digest when members join
up? Some of the problems only became apparent to me after a while, and to be
honest I hadn't thought of filtering (pretty basic I know, but there you go).

Still very happy how it is (especially if more people ditch the digest). Very
good list - thanks Russell, moderators, and contributors.

Arwen

Arwen Blackwood Ximenes
Lawson, Blue Mountains, NSW