birding-aus

Birding-aus a forum?

To: "" <>
Subject: Birding-aus a forum?
From: Luke Shelley <>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:10:51 +1100
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. I really like some of the points you have
raised.

I think there might be some confusion out there about what I am trying to achieve here. Let me make one thing clear to everyone - I am trying to get people to think of ways that we can better what we currently
have here, not destroy it. I have the future in mind, and I am not
suggesting that we do anything with the current website right now, but we at least think about what could be done in the future. I do not
profess to have all of the answers, but I would like to encourage
people to be a little more open minded on the topic. Just treat it
like a 'what if' for now if you like, and don't get to concerned about losing what you have. Believe me, if it ever came down to any
potential to lose what we have here, then I would not support it.

And with all that in mind, here are my responses:

Many, most, questions on Birding-Aus have an answer that quickly gets out of date.
I for one don’t mind a refresh of “How do I get into
Werribee WTP† or similar now & again.

I couldn't agree more, which is why a wiki system that can be updated constantly by users would be a great way to go. The BOCA website has
gone some way to providing information on sites that can be accessed
by a map. It's a good start, but would benefit by being able to be
updated regularly and by users.

Yes, resistance to change is based on what is best for me.
It is also based on my experience with other groups I have subscribed to have changed format, undergone a clumsy transition process & at the end effectively offer me no more usefulness than I had before.

Excellent point here. This is a risk, and I appreciate and have fully factored that in. It appears that just because someone suggests an
idea regarding this or other websites that there is an instant
assumption that they approach with a nieve view that doesnt consider
current users. I would like to highlight that any changes or suggested improvements should be done through consultation with users so we can minimise or eliminate that risk. I am finding this very difficult to
get across.
Yes these are what professional developers keep their eye on. However this site is for the birding users & ‘hits’ per se is not
a relevant criteria for usefulness.

I totally disagree. Just because it is a website for birders does not in the slightest mean that we cannot take a professional approach and try to follow sound design principles. By doing so will only enrich
the experience of all, and encourage new users to become involved.

When I do an archive search I may see a last century format but I get what I was looking for.

Knowing that you can get what you are looking for is not a measurable criteria. I too know that I can do a search and get what I want, just as I can with google or any other search engine, but the question is how quickly? How easily? How much do you have to sift through and read before you get what you want? You will lose half of your audience if
the answer doesn't show up in the first three results.

People with a birding interest but little Web experience that I have
introduced to the site seem to get it & use it without problems.

Did you introduce them and show them what to do? Great if you did, but what about considering the people who look up birding in Australia on a search engine, and then make their way to the page? Yes, the site is usable, but it is not overly intuitive. Not all users of this website are the people who post all the time. Refer to my suggestion about
usage stats that would go a long way to assisting here.

There are plenty of websites more ‘modern’ than Birding-
Aus. I use Birding-Aus in preference to these. BA may have a couple of hundred regular posters. If it had several thousand then the email
subscription would be useless to me.

Precisely, which is why it is obsolete to meet the needs of the
future. Do we not want the birding community to grow? Do we not want
more people involved here?

Regards,

Luke

Regards, Chris Charles

On Wed Jan 27 20:45 , Luke Shelley sent:

Good, positive, suggestion Clair.

Birding-Aus is a wonderful resource for information on birding...

BUT

--
Luke