birding-aus

Re: columnists on the Bush Fires, a caution

To: "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Re: columnists on the Bush Fires, a caution
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:38:19 +1100
I'm not buying into either side of this argument, but in the spirit of
having an informed debate, I thought I'd take this opportunity to let
Birdng-aussers know about a children's book on Honey Possums
<www.honeypossum.com.au>, which has just recently been released.

The book is written by Felicity Bradshaw, the wife of Don Bradshaw, Emeritus
Professor of Zoology at the University of WA. It is based on the results of
20 years of solid scientific research that Don and his research group have
conducted on this species. The book explains the ecological requirements of
Honey Possums and how inappropriate bushfire regimes can affect the status
of this species, one of the most ancient extant mammals in Australia. Honey
Possums don't occur in Victoria, they occur in south-western Australia, but
the book it is a worthwhile contribution to the bushfire debate. Perhaps one
that Miranda Devine should read.

Felicity's intention in writing this book was to educate the next generation
of environmental managers the importance of appropriately managing our
natural environment, particularly in relation to bushfires, for the purposes
of maintaining native biodiversity.

No, I'm not a sales agent for this book and I haven't anything to gain
financially from promoting it. The only thing to declare is that Don
Bradshaw was my Ph.D supervisor in the early 1980s. I just thought it was
useful to throw it into the current debate.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW