birding-aus

Re: columnists on the Bush Fires, a caution

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re: columnists on the Bush Fires, a caution
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:50:58 +1000
John Leonard said:

"I see that Miranda Devine has another screed on the Bush Fires and
"greenies" in the online SMH.

Whatever your views of Ms Devine and her views it is important to
realise that newspaper columnists are now paid partly according to the
number of clicks on their columns online. So it's not worth clicking
on the column of someone you know you are going to disagree with
merely to exercise scorn and contempt.

On the other hand, click away on the columns of those writers you like!

--
John Leonard"

and

L&L Knight said:

"I suspect that columnists such as the one you name function as societal bile ducts. Their role is to dissolve support for admirable things such as birds and bushland."

and
Alistair McKeough said:

"I actively avoid Divine's columns at all simply because I know they'll be
dripping with vitriol, entirely lacking in any journalistic merit and will
just upset me.

The only thing that would get me even remotely interested in Devine is if I
was alerted to a threat that she might be threatening to cross breed with
Andrew Bolt, in which case drastic action would be required.

Alistair"

I say:

Wow!

So much for:
- freedom of expression;
- freedom of speech:
- freedom of the press;
- listening to "the other point of view";
- listening to a diversity of opinion.

So much:
- vitriol in some members of this group;
- bias of thought;
- bigotry;
- intolerance of others opinions;
- narrow-mindedness.

I read Miranda Devine's original article (I was curious to see what was upsetting so many people in this group) and found it quite interesting and intriguing. Subsequent events and comments aired on radio and TV have indicated to me that many citizens of Australia have views similar to the ones stated by Devine in that article. Therefore it seems to me that she was justified in writing that article. I am sure she did not originate the topic but was simply reacting, as a journalist, to comments she had heard (possible not first-hand and therefore possibly not accurate) from some, at least, of those people directly affected by the fires. It is quite understandable that people affected by the fires will be looking for someone or something to blame and the environment-protection groups are the obvious choice. That is not to say that those groups are really to blame but they are, at the moment, the easiest and the most obvious ones to which to attach the blame. It will do no good what so ever to vigorously implore members of this group to ignore what people such as Miranda Devine are saying on this topic. People like her have a much wider audience than BirdingAus. It would be far better to encourage people to read those articles and to listen to the people saying the things Devine writes about and then examining why those views are prevalent.

Listen to what is being said and produce valid arguments as to the "correct" point of view and then publically state them. Write to the papers and put forward your arguments to counter Devine's comments; tell the world what the "answer" is but don't encourage other people to maintain their ignorance.

What happened on "Black Saturday" this year has been monumental and will continue to affect the fabric of the Australian society for a long time to come. What we want now is reasonable thought on the topic; we need to listen to all sorts of opinions on remedies for the factors which contributed to the disaster; we need to know how different people think about what has happened and we need to be open-minded. We don't need to close our minds, our eyes and our ears to what people are saying and thinking.

If any of the BirdingAus members mentioned above have different points of view to Miranda Devine and the hundreds of people directly affected by the fires I would be glad to hear or read them so I can judge if they are any more sensible on this topic than that "accursed" journalist.

Incidentally, I am not related to Miranda Devine (or Andrew Bolt) and I don't normally read the SMH. But I am glad to see that Devine has stirred up some emotions in this group but I wait now to see if sensible, reasoned argument will emanate from those so stirred.

Note: Feel free to respond to what I have written above, but please note that I will not answer anything that I consider abusive, childish, ill-considered, frivolous, mean-spirited, etc. I am likely to respond to what I consider to be reasonable and sensible comments, provided it doesn't offend my own bigoted, biased, narrow-minded way of thinking.

Cheers

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld

It has been claimed that Confucius said "Learning without thought is labour lost; thought without learning is perilous." Think about it.