birding-aus

columnists on the Bush Fires, a caution

To: John Leonard <>
Subject: columnists on the Bush Fires, a caution
From: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 16:30:27 +1000
John Leonard wrote:
I see that Miranda Devine has another screed on the Bush Fires and
"greenies" in the online SMH.

Whatever your views of Ms Devine and her views it is important to
realise that newspaper columnists are now paid partly according to the
number of clicks on their columns online. So it's not worth clicking
on the column of someone you know you are going to disagree with
merely to exercise scorn and contempt.

On the other hand, click away on the columns of those writers you like!

Have a look at a book called "The War on Democracy" for some investigative reporting on the role that journos like her play. In the same category as 'scientist' who create confusion about the evidence on smoking. Its just designed to create confusion and arguement so the status quo reigns. This latest is particularly odious, and I think, may border on or be illegal. We should all be complaining that a journalist is advocating lynching... of anybody. Write to the Press Council.

Scott O'Keeffe