birding-aus

Re: columnists on the Bush Fires, a caution

To: "Robert Inglis" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re: columnists on the Bush Fires, a caution
From: "Judy Philip" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 01:57:07 +1030
Bob,

It is an enormous shame if you have received unpleasant personal responses as a result of posting on the forum.

However I, for one, think that the discussion about the topic on this forum has been very reasonable. I have very much appreciated what has been said here and especially the references to external articles.

Nevertheless, I accept almost all of what you say in your most recent post.

EXCEPT that, when you say the following I am somewhat concerned:
What I have said is that I believe people should listen to all of the arguments and points of view before rushing into a hasty conclusion.
If people don't want to do that, then that is their problem.

I for one certainly always listen to all arguments and points of view and never rush to hasty conclusions. Indeed, I'm at times a bit worried that I'm far too prone to see both sides of an argument.

But I think that the concerns which have been expressed here about certain columnists is that they express nothing other than personal points of view, that they use loaded and emotive words, and that they draw their own all too hasty conclusions. They seem to convey no reasoned or reasonable arguments, and they adduce no evidence at all. If that's an over-statement I apologise - but it's the opinion of someone who is more than ready to listen to reasoned discussion on both sides of an argument.

JAP