birding-aus

VicTwitch 2009 - Zoos Vic 2009 Bushfire Appeal

To: <>
Subject: VicTwitch 2009 - Zoos Vic 2009 Bushfire Appeal
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:49:42 +1100
Hi all,

In 2009 I'm attempting to break my 2006 record of seeing 330 species of bird in
Victoria during a calender year (pelagic/offshore species excluded). As part of
this I thought I'd turn a fairly selfish act into a selfless one. Therefore I'm
seeking sponsorship to help raise money for the Zoos Victoria Foundation 2009
Bushfire Appeal. This is run through the Australian Wildlife Health Centre
(AWHC) at Healesville Sanctuary (see
http://www.zoo.org.au/Healesville/News/Save_Injured_Wildlife).

Sponsorship is based on donating according to the number of bird species seen
in Victoria during 2009 i.e. 20c x 330 = $66 - a similar system to the
Australian Twitchathons. If you would like to sponsor VicTwitch 2009 please
contact me via email at

Without wanting to seek any sympathy, as someone who last year lost his father
and our family farm through fire I can sympathise strongly with the victims of
the fire on February 7th, however it goes without saying that we also need to
think about the impact of the fires on the environment and our wildlife.

For information on this and a progressive total of how I'm going see my trip
report website http://tim-dolby.blogspot.com/ As it stands I'm off to an
excellent start, mainly due to seeing some great east coast migrants in
Croajingolong National Park during January.

Wish me luck.

Tim Dolby