birding-aus

Black Noddy ethics

To: "'Birding-aus Aus'" <>
Subject: Black Noddy ethics
From: "Alastair Smith" <>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 20:49:02 +1000
Reading Bob Inglis' email I feel I must have missed something in what I
thought was a fairly light hearted question and some fairly good-humoured

Sorry Bob but what does it matter if someone is a novice birder,
birdwatcher, ticker, twitcher or ornithologist? Surely whatever our label we
are all following the same pursuit, but to different degrees - we all derive
enjoyment from observing wild birds, whether it be just once or on multiple
occasions. By doing so hopefully we are putting something back into our
hobby.

We all go through stages and if someone is a ticker, sobeit. As a
birdwatcher (with twitching tendencies) I think that I obtain more enjoyment
than they do, but I don't think any less of them for ticking.
Cheers
Alastair