Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel?

Subject: Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel?
From: "Flawn Williams" flawn1951
Date: Mon Jan 6, 2014 4:57 am ((PST))
Fred,

My reading of the manual for the Sound Devices Mixpre-D is that its only MS=
 mode is to decode Mid and Side inputs into Left and Right signals that app=
ear at the main outputs of the mixer. There=92s no option for just doing MS=
 decoding in the headphones while passing undecoded MS to the main outputs.

Some of that company=92s other products, such as their 702 and 722 recorder=
s, do offer the choice of decoding just in the headphone output or in both =
mains and headphones.

There are a number of options in DAW software these days that can let you n=
arrow or widen the stereo field of a recorded file. Narrowing is simplest, =
you just have to set the pan controls for each channel to less than full sp=
read. Thus when I record decoded MS in the field I usually set the image to=
 be a bit wider than I expect to want, and use the pans to tailor it later.

But widening can be done in software as well. The same process that I descr=
ibed in my earlier note, that converts M and S to L and R, will also conver=
t L and R to M and S! And there are plug-ins that use that kind of under-th=
e-hood math to let you widen the stereo image of a recording. They work for=
 decoded MS recordings as well as original LR recordings.

=97Flawn

On Jan 6, 2014, at 5:04 AM,  wrote:

> 3d. Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel?
>    Posted by:   listeningfor1
>    Date: Sun Jan 5, 2014 9:08 pm ((PST))
>
> Can anyone confirm if I have the correct understanding about the Sound De=
vices Mixpre-D.

> If I connect a Mid/Side mike arrangement to the SD Mixpre-D and engage th=
e M/S Link function, does the mixer output stereo signal?  In other words, =
does the mixer encode the Mid and Side mike signals into stereo?  Or am I h=
earing only through headphones the encoded version, but the mixer is still =
outputting discrete, Mid and Side signals which I'll need to encode later. =
 The manual doesn't seem that clear to me.

> If the mixer is doing the encoding, seems like once you engage the M/S Li=
nk function you are committed to the the level and spread adjustments that =
you make in the field, which could be kind of risky.