Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel?

Subject: Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel?
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:57 am ((PST))
Sorry, my "enter" finger slipped.

Nobody denies that a Jecklin set up is a stereo set-up. Nobody denies
that a SASS set up is a stereo set-up. Etc.

Some people believe that adding a parabola removes these stereo
characteristics, which of course is not correct.

Which stereo set up you want, depends on how you want to listen to
your recordings and how you want it to sound.

Klas.

In theory, the perfect binaural mic system resembles your hearing.
A amplitude stereo, M/S for example, is something totally different.

Klas.

At 18:57 2014-01-09, you wrote:

>Hello Klas,
>
>Thanks for your response.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean by the term "phase stereo."  Is that the
>same as Mid/Side stereo?  I'm a video engineer by profession, so I
>have heard many of these terms, but I don't have enough audio
>background to have a complete understanding.
>
>I am primarily interested in a broad, stereo soundscape recording
>for this particular project that I am producing.  However, there are
>a few sounds that I would like to record that originate hundreds of
>meters away across open desert, and it's just not possible to get my
>SASS rig close enough to record a suitably strong signal.  I'm
>concerned with coyotes, owls, big horn sheep, etc.  At the same
>time, I would like to maintain a stereo recording of the ambient
>sounds in my immediate vicinity, (such as wind, water, other birds
>and animals).
>
>I think what I'm asking for is a Mid/Side arrangement utilizing a
>parabolic di sh for the Mid channel and a bi-directional (figure-8)
>mic for the Side channel.  For this particular recording, I would
>not use my SASS rig.
>
>Is that the correct approach?
>
>Thanks,
>Fred