Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel?

Subject: Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel?
From: "Flawn Williams" flawn1951
Date: Sat Jan 4, 2014 5:14 am ((PST))
If you are talking about adding together the signal from a mike in a parabo=
lic dish to a pair of 4022s in a different position, then there could indee=
d be slight timing issues that would produce comb filtering. If you record =
all the mikes separately and pull them into a DAW app you can adjust the re=
lative timing of the parabolic mike for best synchronicity (or at least you=
 can adjust for your favorite set of comb filters).

I have done Mid-Side (MS) two channel recordings with a parabolic dish mike=
 as the Mid channel, and a bidirectional mike mounted BEHIND the dish as th=
e Side channel, facing sideways with its null to the back of the dish. The =
positioning of the Side mike offsets the reflected path of sound to the Mid=
 mike, so the paths to both mikes are time-aligned for on-axis sound. But t=
he dish also acts as an acoustical barrier, so there is less interplay betw=
een what=92s happening in the dish and what=92s happening at the sides. Aft=
er decoding M and S to L and R, this yielded some very nice stereo-with-foc=
used-center recordings in the Malaysian rainforest.

=97Flawn

On Jan 4, 2014, at 4:57 AM,  wrote:

> 5. Parabolic Dish As Center Channel?
>    Posted by:   listeningfor1
>    Date: Fri Jan 3, 2014 10:22 pm ((PST))
>
> Hi guys, once again, I=92m dipping my cup into the well of knowledge with=
in this group.  To date, I=92ve recorded soundscapes with a pair of AT-4022=
=92s configured into a SASS rig, utilizing a Sound Devices Mix-Pre D and a =
Marantz PMD-661.  When having the need to record a specific sound (bird, co=
yote, etc.), but still wanting to maintain an ambient recording, would addi=
ng a parabolic dish mic as a 3rd microphone input and mixed to the center (=
ie both) channels of the Mix-Pre be suitable or problematic?  You can add 2=
 more line-level sources as Channels 3 & 4 inputs by converting the Return =
input (1/8=94 mini in).  I have a Naiant Tiny Box pre-amp which I would use=
 to supply the mic to line level source.  I know from an electronic standpo=
int this will work, because I borrowed a friends Sennheiser ME-66 and mixed=
 it as a 3rd mic along side my AT-4022s.  I am wondering if the dish will c=
reate phase or delay problems when mixed with the left and right channels? =
 Or, if anyone has tried this, did they feel that extra equipment, expense =
and hassle was worth the effort?  Ideally, I know that a 3-channel (or more=
) mixer and recorder would be best so that you can record each mic on a sep=
arate track.  However, that would mean spending a considerable sum of money=
.

> I searched the forum for a bit and couldn=92t find any posts addressing t=
his specific technique.  Sorry, if it has already been covered.  Before I d=
rop cash money on a Telinga, I was hoping to secure the knowledge that this=
 will work.