Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel?

Subject: Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel?
From: madl74
Date: Sat Jan 4, 2014 5:46 pm ((PST))
> When having the need to record a specific sound (bird, coyote, etc.), but=
 still wanting to maintain an ambient recording, would adding a parabolic d=
ish mic as a 3rd microphone input and mixed to the center.

Fred,

You've had some sensible advice so far and I hesitate to add more, but I
will. :-)

The phase response of a parabolic reflector is very different from an open=

type mic or mic rig, so sum and difference mixing won't give proper stereo.=

What you need is some way of feeding the parabola equally ro L and R to giv=
a centre signal, and use the SASS to get an S difference signal. You won't=

get an even stereo spread across the centre image but you will be able to
adjust the S signal (and stereo spread) later for best results.

One thing I would try would be to minimise the M content from the SASS, and=

I suggest experimenting mounting the SASS behind the parabola using it as a=

baffle to minimise the front sounds. It may not work, but it is worth a try=

is you already have a parabola or can borrow one. If not, experiment first=

with a sheet of cardboard as a front baffle and use any directional mic for=

the M signal.

David Brinicombe