Re: better recorder or better microphone-dilemma

Subject: Re: better recorder or better microphone-dilemma
From: lamprophis1963
Date: Wed Oct 2, 2013 9:59 am ((PDT))
  To me, the logic seems to be either:

A.  Buy a good XLR capable recorder and get by with a lesser
microphone now

B.  Buy a good microphone and get by with a lesser recorder for
now

If you go with the first option, you could get your Sennheiser
ME67/K6 and get by with an Olympus LS recorder for now.  When you
are ready, you could move up to a quieter XLR capable recorder.
(I suggested the Tascam as a recorder roughly equivalent to the
Olympus but with XLR capability).

If you go with the second option and buy the Marantz, you could
get by with a less expensive microphone for now (although if you
go too cheap on mics the quality drops off fast!) and upgrade the
microphone when you can.

But I don't see the point in buying a more expensive non-XLR
recorder now.  If you do that you are guaranteeing you will have
to replace both the recorder and the mic.

Buy the cheaper recorder and learn the craft.  Like with camera
gear, good field craft trumps good gear.  You will be able to get
some outstanding recordings of owls and other birds with an
Olympus LS-12 or similar recorder.

---In
<> wrote:

Hi,thank U. I'm thinking about self noise of recorder also. I've
heared about sony pcm m 10 can be compared with high end
recorders but don't have xlr.

Wys=C5=82ano z Poczty Yahoo! w systemie Android