Re: better recorder or better microphone-dilemma

Subject: Re: better recorder or better microphone-dilemma
From: "Scott Hughes" shooze53
Date: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:40 pm ((PDT))
Jacek,
I have that exact equipment - the newer Marantz PMD661 MKII, and the
RODE NTG-2 with RODE WS6 windsock, and K-Tek Nautilus shock mount.   I
monitor my recordings with Sennheiser HD25-1 II headphones, a very
good choice as well.

I record with that RODE microphone in MONO.  I use a Sony stereo
microphone as well, but the onboard stereo mics on the Marantz are
very good.

You may get varying opinions regarding microphones, but I had owned a
few different recorders in the past (including the TASCAM DR-100 MK2,
and others, very cheap switches and some bad design on those, I
returned them all).  The Marantz is VERY well made, rugged, and easy
to use.  Recording quality is one thing, and every manufacturer seems
to know that, and have fairly good specs.  The durability of the
Marantz is what sold me.  CBC Radio/TV Canada uses the Marantz
recorders in the field as well, they came highly recommended from
their technicians.

Is it not really about matching the recorder to the microphone
sensitivity, though?

Hope this helps.
Scott