better recorder or better microphone-dilemma

Subject: better recorder or better microphone-dilemma
From: "Jacek Malanka" jacek_malanka
Date: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:58 pm ((PDT))
Hi,
What do you think is better - buy marantz pmd 661 + rode ntg-2 or buy cheaper
recorder like olympus LS-12 or sony PCM 10 but with Sennheiser K6/ME67. Which
solution will give me better sound quality? I might add that I am most
interested in recording owls. In first line owls and then other birds. I think
the first solution is better because of xlr (in the future I could change the
microphone) , but if you have other experiences, suggestions and tips then
correct me.
Jacek