Re: Created Dates-Sony PCM to Mac

Subject: Re: Created Dates-Sony PCM to Mac
From: "Badger" badgermcgrane
Date: Fri May 10, 2013 11:06 am ((PDT))
John Crocket wrote:

"With some recorders, and older Mac systems, the "Date Created" does
not get passed to the computer when the file is transfered, so it is
useful to immediately copy the "Date Modified" into the "Date
Created" to retain that information in perpetuity. Immediately after
transfer, the "Date Modified" is the original recording date and
time, not the date/time of transfer, so copying it into the "Date
Created" preserves the original recording date and time that survives
beyond any edits to the file.

It's a wee bit cumbersome but it works, although I like Peter's
approach of including the recording date in the file title. That was
one feature of my minidisc recorder that I miss. The file name was
based on the recording date and time."

I'm probably in this category of older macs, mine is an ibookG4, and
you are right about it being very convenient to have the created
date, just in case some other changes are made to file names.  You've
hit on the crux of the matter when you say its cumbersome to manually
put in a created date--what I really would like would be either to
get the computer to automatically get the date at the time of file
transfer, or to have a batch process that can immediately copy all
the modified dates into the created dates.

Obviously, it'd be nice if there was a free utility or program to do
this, I've only found ones that are pretty expensive  so far that
seem to work.  If anyone knows of a free utility that can do batch
transfers of the modified dates into the created dates, please let me
know.

Thanks, Guy