Re: Rane link - a warning

Subject: Re: Rane link - a warning
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Fri May 10, 2013 6:43 am ((PDT))
< I=B4ve never looked at that connection on the Rane Note before, but upon =
closer look it seems very wrong, yes. I=B4ve never lifted a ground like tha=
t.  >

I don't have the Rane paper in front of me, but there is a scheme for runni=
ng line level unbalanced connections through balanced 2 conductor cable. On=
 the source end the hot signal connects to one of the conductors & the grou=
nd connects to the other conductor, with the shield unconnected. On the des=
tination end the hot conductor goes to hot while the cold conductor is tied=
 to the shield & goes to ground. Back when semi-pro equipment was running l=
ine level on unbalanced RCA connectors I wired an entire studio this way wi=
th Mogami 2 conductor cable. It worked well & was very quiet, but this is o=
nly for line level signals. Microphones need shield connected at both ends =
& phantom power only works into a balanced input.

SF