Re: Created Dates-Sony PCM to Mac

Subject: Re: Created Dates-Sony PCM to Mac
From: "Chris Edwards" chris2edwards
Date: Tue May 7, 2013 8:48 am ((PDT))
On Tue, 7 May 2013, John Crockett wrote:

> The "Date Modified" changes when you edit the file. The "Date Created"
> does not change.

Yep.  At least, that's the theory.  But in practice, the creation date
isn't very well supported by various bits of software.  Quite a few ways
to copy a file result in a new creation date (of the time the copy was
made).

> With some recorders, and older Mac systems, the "Date Created" does not
> get passed to the computer when the file is transfered, so it is useful
> to immediately copy the "Date Modified" into the "Date Created" to
> retain that information in perpetuity.

As I understand it, that's what MacOSX does automatically by default, for
a drag'n'drop in the Finder given a file without a creation date.  In
other words, the creation date is set to the value of the modification
date.  Hence I'm unclear what Badger meant by "this data is missing", and
why it'd help to know what his creation date actually is.

> "Date Modified" is the original recording date and time, not the
> date/time of transfer, so copying it into the "Date Created" preserves
> the original recording date and time that survives beyond any edits to
> the file.

Assuming the editing software in question handles the creation date as
expected... (see my first para)

> I like Peter's approach of including the recording date in the file
> title. That was one feature of my minidisc recorder that I miss. The
> file name was based on the recording date and time.

Yep - that's exactly how the PCM-M10 names its files :-)