Re: Is my equipment outdated?

Subject: Re: Is my equipment outdated?
From: "Robin" robin_parmar_sound
Date: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:59 pm ((PST))
I am with Vicki on this. If you are stepping up from MiniDisc and already have
a starter stereo mic, then bag one of the small Olympus recorders, which have
very good pre-amps for the price and will operate like the kit you are already
used to, though with more convenience. (The LS-5 is the best bang for the buck,
but the LS-10 or LS-11 are similar.)

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher. Once you know more about the limitations of
this mini system, you can invest in solving those problems. In the meantime you
can make great sounding recordings and have a kit you can keep with you all the
time, everyday, and that won't be made redundant with a more extensive system.

For a pro kit you need to consider microphones (spaced omnis, shotgun pair,
parabolic reflector, Mid-Side pair), fluffies and dirigibles for the wind, high
quality tripods, hides and field gear, lots of cabling, external power sources,
and of course the recorder. The experts here should agree that your budget is
nowhere near enough to get everything you might need for a "proper" stereo
nature recording kit.

Yesterday I saw a presentation by Simon Elliott, who has spent $500 just on
cables, I am sure! (He used to be on this list and maybe still is. Anyway,
brilliant job Simon!)

:: Robin Parmar :: THE DRONES now available on BandCamp ::

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: