Re: Is my equipment outdated?

Subject: Re: Is my equipment outdated?
From: "sounds.images" sounds.images
Date: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:14 pm ((PST))
Just to chip in my thoughts as I was passing as it were.

XLR not only locks into place to stop accidental disconnection but also has=
 is easier to receive a higher signal due to improved impedance. Cables als=
o tend to be shielded to help stop unwanted interference.

As for a basket or blimp I have the Rode Blimp which is almost certainly to=
 be the cheapest option worth having. This also has a ten year warranty, co=
mes with the fur and spare microphone cups to cater for almost any that you=
 may wish it to house.  With a bit of simple modification you can house a s=
econd mic and record in stereo.

I have the Rode Ntg-2 in the rode blimp. This is connected to a Tascam DR-6=
80

You can use your stereo mic for atmospheres etc and get. Some close action =
if placed and left. A long shotgun mic will have a narrower band of pic up =
so more directional. A short shotgun will also be directional but will pick=
 up more than you may want. I had to compromise at the time. So building my=
 kit slowly.

I plan on getting a stereo lavalier mic wired on a very long cable for vari=
ous bird recording situations.

There are more microphones out there that I want than I can afford!... Ofte=
n the way with these things...

--- In  "tankramjet"  wrote:

> Thanks for your response David.
>
> What is the benefit of getting a recorder with XLR inputs over just using=
 a 3.5mm input jack?

> Looks like Tascam's lowest price recorder with XLR inputs is the Tascam D=
R-100 mkII for $259.

> I'm going to dig around my cables to see if I have a dual XLR jack which =
apparently originally came with my Rhode microphone.

> Regarding the windsock.  Can you point me to a basket type and yeti cover=
 that you would recommend?

> My last question is regarding using my Rhode nt4 single Stereo Condenser =
Microphone as opposed to 2 mono microphones.  Does it matter that much for =
a stereo sound quality to use 2 microphones spaced 6" apart instead of a si=
ngle stereo microphone like my NT4?