Re: Is my equipment outdated?

Subject: Re: Is my equipment outdated?
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:22 pm ((PST))
Having XLR inputs available increases the range of microphones you can choo=
se from. I believe they're less prone to connection problems and that there=
 are numerous other advantages, but insisting on having them excludes sever=
al popular recorders like the Sony PCM-M10 and Olympus LS11.

I suspect that if you're looking for the best ratio of cost to quality then=
 you'll have to make do with 3.5mm jacks, but everyone's idea of the minimu=
m acceptable level of quality is different, so the answers will vary. For m=
any, XLR is the obvious choice. I went with an M10, and for the time being =
a home made microphone using $10 capsules (sample recording at https://soun=
dcloud.com/petershute/dawn-chorus-pheenys-track). If I outgrow it then I'll=
 need a new microphone and probably a new recorder.

I'm under the impression that using XLR with phantom power often means that=
 the recorder's batteries won't last as long, so there are advantages and d=
isadvantages.

If I had your equipment when I was starting, I'd have made some recordings =
and submitted them to the group for opinions before deciding on the next st=
ep. Is it now impossible to get recordings off the MD recorder onto your co=
mputer?

Peter Shute