Re: Is my equipment outdated?

Subject: Re: Is my equipment outdated?
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:10 pm ((PST))
> What is the benefit of getting a recorder with XLR inputs over just
> using a 3.5mm input jack?

Ryan,

They come out too easily and you will need extension cables to get
away from where birds/animals are sounding off. My mics are on 100
metre cables but that's the other extreme and I have used them on
250metre cables deep in woodland with no problems. I look for commonly
used song perches and wait for the birds to come back. Try near and
around a bird table. XLR's are more damp resistant. Don't commit
yourself to 3.5mm.

> My last question is regarding using my Rhode nt4 single Stereo
> Condenser Microphone as opposed to 2 mono microphones.

The NT4 _is_ two mono mics, both cardioids. However it has a very wide
stereo pickup area (stereo object area) and will pick up sounds and
noise from behind, above and below. The stereo image left and right
give
about object left 90deg and right 90deg.

Spaced mics often don't give a good stereo image on loudspeakers and
that is why they are coincident on the NT4. Spaced mics (ORTF) can
give an indistinct speaker image at half left and half right and I'm
prepared to argue that one out.

I use short and long gunmics which are a different ball game with
$000's, so hang fire until you have read and got thoroughly confused
by our discussions on mics. :-)

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce