Re: TASCAM DR-100 MK2 & SONY MDR-7506 Phones

Subject: Re: TASCAM DR-100 MK2 & SONY MDR-7506 Phones
From: "Robin" robin_parmar_sound
Date: Tue Feb 5, 2013 9:25 am ((PST))
Scott wrote:

> I would spend the coin ($249.00 plus tax in Canadian Funds) for those if I
> knew they would give me good flat listening.  I have no problem with that, I
> just want to make a good decision here, and not waste time and money. BUT,
> are they flat enough, without bass/treble cuts/boosts that illustrate
> improper reference readings?

Relatively speaking, yes, these are flat 'phones considering that they are
closed. They are also quite efficient. For what it's worth, I would say the
HD25 are about 9dB louder than the AKG K271 (when listening to mixed music). I
have never heard the HD-433. The other main advantage of the HD25 is the amount
of isolation they provide. For this reason I always fly with them.

The single disadvantage is that they are uncomfortable to wear for any length
of time, especially with glasses. Then again, I have particularly sensitive
ears. Currently, the phones I most want to hear are the Beyerdynamic Tesla
DT1350, which are reported to be better in this regard. They are more than
double the price, however.

If you want phones that reveal problems, then something like the Sony's are
good, since they have a bass hump (as mentioned in another post) and also a
presence boost. This works for ENG since 99% of the time all that matters is
that the speaker on camera is clear and that there are no overt sonic problems.
So people use cans that highlight problems.

I don't listen this way. When I am recording an environment I want to hear it
exactly as the microphones are hearing it, so I can bear this in mind for when
I come to use the field recording in the studio. Sure I want to know if the
cable is bad or there is a hum from an induced EM field. But I mostly want to
hear with as much clarity as possible, to enable that ears/mics
transformational mapping.

I suppose ideally some smart company should make a set of cans like the
Sennheiser HD25-1 II, but with a switch on the side that bumps up the annoying
frequency areas for closer examination. Best of both worlds.

I use the AKG K271 at home since it helps to have some isolation. Plus they
have that cool auto-switch that cuts off the sound when they are not on your
head. I really appreciate that. If it wasn't for these practical considerations
I would get the K701/2, which sound significantly clearer. Or the Sennheiser HD
600. So many headphones, so little time!

P.S. I completely agree with the previous poster: getting to know the sonic
signature of a given pair of cans is important. Seems you have a lot of
experience, in any case!

P.P.S. The Canadian price seems high. But I grew up in Canada and am well
familiar with the pricing discrepancies there.

:: Robin Parmar :: new album The Drones available on BandCamp ::