Re: TASCAM DR-100 MK2 & SONY MDR-7506 Phones

Subject: Re: TASCAM DR-100 MK2 & SONY MDR-7506 Phones
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Wed Feb 6, 2013 4:47 pm ((PST))
> Do 7506s really have a bass hump? Or are they actually just flatter
> at the low end than is normal? Maybe it works out the same to our
> ears.

Peter,

How would you define "flat". If you put a mic in the ear canal it
would change the response anyway. I suspect different shapes of ears
give different results but there is no way of calibrating this without
getting into someone else's brain. :-)

The only real check is to compare what you hear with the meter at
different frequencies. For instance if you hear a prominant rumble and
the "needle" is not moving much, you have a bass boost and can take
that into your judgement when recording. If you generate a slow
frequency sweep, you can hear what your cans/ears are doing, including
any peaks or troughs, and take that into consideration when you are
recording real life. Calibrating your ears.

The great thing with digital recording is that you can adjust the bass
response afterwards without affecting the rest of the frequency band,
but only if you keep clear of overloads. What I would suggest is to
use a bass roll-off to be on the safe side, as you can easily "roll"
the bass back on again in a sound editor. I did this recently with a
storm recording.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce