Re: TASCAM DR-100 MK2 & SONY MDR-7506 Phones

Subject: Re: TASCAM DR-100 MK2 & SONY MDR-7506 Phones
From: "Robin" robin_parmar_sound
Date: Mon Feb 4, 2013 8:46 am ((PST))
Vicki wrote:

> There are two schools of thought on this one, I prefer the simpler
> option of $20 open air headphones as all I want to know is that the
> signal is recording OK.

This method doesn't work for me, since I often need to a) carefully positio=
n microphones for frequency response and sound stage, and b) listen for sub=
tle distortions, e.g. those that occur only occasionally or with transients=
 too fast for meters.

This requires accurate headphones and those with high isolation.

Once I have everything set up I can listen more for sound events and aesthe=
tics. But at this stage even open phones would get in my way, so I generall=
y remove them entirely. (Not to mention that I might want to physically rem=
ove myself some distance from the recorder and being tethered hampers this.=
)

It is interesting to hear from those with different practices.

-- Robin Parmar