Re: R-44 issue-geek reply

Subject: Re: R-44 issue-geek reply
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:00 pm ((PDT))
> David, can you explain a bit more about your last paragraph - a two
> core mic cable / mic is balanced.

Jez,

Sorry not clear. I was talking about unbalanced mics with one
conductor and a screen. You would wire these to a balanced input
between the +phase input and ground. If you wire the screen to -phase
you could get problems. I can't find wiring specs of the DPA's so I
can't be sure.

> so, the issue is that for whatever reason the R-44 (& indeed the
> R-26) doesn't handle the DPA's.

At that quality level I would expect the R-44 to be likely without
floating transformer inputs and with +- balanced inputs either side of
ground. In that case try connecting the DPA's as above to ground and
only one leg of the audio.

I had to use transformers on unbalanced mics with my long cables here
as there is a lot of 50Hz (up to volts measured) across the ground
here from my HT electricity supply pole earths.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce

Best Wishes, David