Re: Adobe Flash issues with Mac OSX 10.4

Subject: Re: Adobe Flash issues with Mac OSX 10.4
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:32 am ((PDT))
Hi Michael and others,

>> This is slightly off-topic but in order to listen to wildlife sound
>> tracks on Soundcloud I need to have a flash player.
>>

> Is this true? I was under the impression that the soundcloud player
> switched to html5 some time ago.

In 2 different browsers in soundcloud I got the message
  "Hey, it seems your browser can't play SoundCloud audio streams, if
you can, please take a moment to upgrade your browser or Flash Player
plugin.  Thanks for your understanding!

So, hey, I upgraded the browsers and the Flash Player (followed their
link) but got nowhere, just kept getting that 'hey' message.  Until I
found the Camino browser which seemed to have no trouble finding the
Flash Player which is already in the Internet Plugins folder.

John Tudor & John Campbell (thanks guys) suggested using an older
version of Firefox, I tried this but Firefox has a new trick in that
when you install an older version it automatically updates it again
to the latest (and incompatible) version.  I used to have a choice
about this upgrade but now it just happens all by itself.  Scarey!

> The most current version of the Mac OS is 10.7.4 - I have never
> found a problem in upgrading Mac's and it really doesn't take very
> much time as it's basically automatic. You are correct in your
> observation that that if you don't keep your operating software up-
> to-date then things can get sticky. But with that said being to
> fast to upgrade your Mac OS can result in the reverse problem in
> which the off-brand software does not recognize the newer OS - so
> its a balancing game - my solution is to keep one computer running
> on the latest - but one OS, and my main one using the latest.
>
> Probably does not help much but it's what's worked for me.
>
> Aloha from Kona
> Reg.

> 10.4 is no longer supported by Apple for virus or malware
> protection updates.  10.4 will not protect your computer from the
> most recent virus.  The oldest version they are still supporting
> with security updates is 10.6.  When 10.8 comes out this summer
> 10.6 will no longer be supported as Apple only goes back one OS.
> Best to upgrade as soon as you finish your project so you system is
> secure.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jason

Thanks Reg & Jason, if 10.8 is in the wings then I really am behind
the times.  I am a novice at upgrading, I'm thinking I need to go to
a Mac store and buy a real CD to do the upgrade?  I did a minor
upgrade once, but did that via the software downloads facility.
Maybe I will get the Mac people to do the upgrade for me, when the
time comes.

Meanwhile I will use Camino to access SoundCloud, and see how long I
can last out without upgrading my OS.  I agree with your comments
John Campbell :-) and pleased to hear that I'm not the only person in
the world still using 10.4.

Vicki Powys
Australia