Re: Replacement for my Remembird

Subject: Re: Replacement for my Remembird
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Tue Feb 8, 2011 9:46 pm ((PST))
I've posted a 5 minute clip of very marginal listening value, but should il=
lustrate just how quiet nature can be at times. The first section of the fi=
le is a recording of me handling the tripod, then walking away from the mic=
s - from memory I walked about 30 metres stopped briefly then walked anothe=
r 10-20 metres and then sat down.  There are some night birds calling - Hoo=
ded Robin, white-throated Nightjar and a low freq booming that is possibly =
an emu, but otherwise it's very, very still.

I've applied 6dB gain on the file, but it is otherwise "as recorded". The r=
ecorder was set at 9 1/4 roughly and has 6dB additional gain over a stock H=
DP2 - so this one goes (went) to 11 (compared with standard).

http://soundcloud.com/offtracksound/recording-predawn

cheers
Paul

On 09/02/2011, at 1:16 PM, Paul Jacobson wrote:

> On 09/02/2011, at 12:20 PM, Dan Dugan <> wrote:
>
>> Actually, not. Quiet forest or desert ambiences show up the self-noise o=
f {=3D% mercilessly
> Dan is absolutely correct.
>
> I have recording made on a still morning in outback NSW where the system =
noise of a tascam hdp2 & at3032 is far higher than environmental   noise.