Re: Replacement for my Remembird

Subject: Re: Replacement for my Remembird
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Tue Feb 8, 2011 10:04 am ((PST))
At 09:11 AM 2/8/2011 -0800, you wrote:

>I'd go for the more flexible package, but I recall hearing that there was=

>a difference in the self-noise between the powering modes, I forget which =
way.

>-Dan

Hi Dan,

Yes, this is true, when using the internal battery you give up a small
amount of sensitivity however it has been my experience that the ME66/K6
mic/power module combination actually runs quieter on the internal battery=

than when using Phantom power from the recorder... I have a hunch this is
because Phantom power from recorders is generated using inverter/chopper
circuits to elevate the recorder nominal 5-6 VDC battery voltage to the 48=

vdc required. This inverter process generates a hash and I suspect a minute=

portion of this hash gets down the cable to the internal mic preamp/driver=

where as the battery is pure DC, no hash...

So you give up a couple db of output but get a cleaner signal when using
the mic internal battery  and as the ME66 is a low self noise high output
(50 Mvolt/Pa) mic, the loss is negligible...

That's been my experience anyway...

Besides, ambient background noise when recording outdoors makes all this a=

moot point, I think you would only be able to detect a difference is when
working indoors in a high grade very low noise recording studio...

So I agree,  go for the more flexible package... I do...

--

Thanks,
Mitch & Shadow...

http://www.4shared.com/dir/UTASxktL/wildlife.html