Re: Replacement for my Remembird

Subject: Re: Replacement for my Remembird
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Tue Feb 8, 2011 8:25 pm ((PST))
At 05:20 PM 2/8/2011 -0800, you wrote:

>Actually, not. Quiet forest or desert ambiences show up the self-noise of=

>mics mercilessly. That's why Rob Danielson made a specification of 16dBA
>or lower for mics suitable for quiet ambiences.

Hi Dan,

That may well be, however I'm in Eastern Massachusetts and there is no such=

thing as quiet locations of the order comparable to which you refer as
quiet forest or desert ambiences...  About the furthest you can get here
from a heavily traveled highway or a shopping mall is somewhere in the
order of 5 miles at best...  And boats! forget it...

How far do you have to travel and how often do you find yourself in such a=

quiet location of that magnitude?

Again, I think "quiet" is more a local environment issue than anything to
do with a microphone of the caliber of the ME66 with its 10db/A self noise=

figure...  if one gains 3 dB of noise in the way the microphone is used, it=

is lost in the local background cacophony of urban life even at 3:00AM in
the morning...

However, when using the Olympus LS-11 with a ME66/K6, I have on more than
one occasion run the run the recorder mic preamp at maximum gain and not
had an issue with  mic or equipment noise but those instances are very rare=

here due to the local ambient background noise...

As the fellow said, "its about Location, location, location..."

--

Thanks,
Mitch & Shadow...

http://www.4shared.com/dir/UTASxktL/wildlife.html