Re: Replacement for my Remembird

Subject: Re: Replacement for my Remembird
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Tue Feb 8, 2011 2:17 pm ((PST))
> I've got to add to this argument about wasted phantom power. From
> memory the current draw with a MKH series is 5 ma. If that comes from
> a 48V source that is a total of 250 milliwatts which is not going to
> warm anything up.

Hi David,

Sure that's a relatively small amount of power. But don't forget that you u=
sually need two microphones and unfortunately the efficiency of the DC-DC c=
onverter that generates the 48 VDC is usually quite poor (60...80% only). S=
o, according to your example, the recorder would spend at least about 600 m=
W alone on the microphones. That is however quite a lot for an otherwise po=
wer-efficient field recorder with small batteries.

> The other thing with phantom power is that it uses a balanced line, so
> any noise coming from a power source or battery cancels out.

Note that the battery-powered ME66/K6 still provides a balanced output sign=
al as long as it is connected through a 3-wire XLR cable. So, that`s not ne=
cessarily an argument for phantom power.

Regards,
Raimund