Re: Creating delrin mic supports for SASS

Subject: Re: Creating delrin mic supports for SASS
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:00 pm ((PDT))
At 9:13 PM -0600 9/24/10, Kevin Colver wrote:

>Rob,
>I've made my own Jeklin disk with about $25 of materials (not
>including the microphones) and used it this summer. Your comments
>about the Jeklin were fairly positive. I'm wondering if others in the
>group have found the Jeklin useful for nature recording?
>
>Kevin J Colver
>Soundscapes for Birders - a Podcast of Natural Sounds
>www.7Loons.com
>
>On Sep 24, 2010, at 10:53 AM, Rob Danielson wrote:
>
>>  Hi Mark and Kenton--
>>  There's a group of about 6 people who are actively making and using
>>  DIY mics based on SASS-P body dimensions in the tradition of Walt
>>  Knapp's & Lang Elliot's mod. Some recent changes to body design may
>>  interest you too:
>><http://diystereoboundarymics.blogspot.com/>http://diystereoboundarymics.=
blogspot.com/
>>. You
>>  definitely do not need to invest in a SASS-P body to get comparable
>  > results.

Hi Kevin--

There's a lot of bland but necessary history behind the variables I
choose to isolate in the tests. :-( That particular comparison was
made in-studio to look only at high frequency localization and not
depth or reach. Dangerous to extrapolate these results directly to
field use. I wanted to make sure I could address the center gain and
HF distribution more effectively before looking at lower register
performance outside with distant subjects.

As soon as I get some community work done this weekend and the wind
is agreeable, I'll do simultaneous, side-by side, overnight
recordings comparing three rigs: a newly modified DIY SASS-like body
with 4022's, a Jecklin Disk with 4022's and a rig that has spaced
boundaries with 14-3/4" Jecklin separation and SASS-like baffling.

I've been using a Jecklin Disk for almost a year because, so far, its
been the most effective way to use my front address mkh-80's. Having
a choice between the DIY SASS and the Jeckin in surround set-ups,
I've noticed that I always end-up using the DIY SASS to portray depth
and reach and the Jecklin more for close subjects. It will be
interesting to hear if this bears out in the field test.  Rob D.