Re: LS-10 plus DPA 4060

Subject: Re: LS-10 plus DPA 4060
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:48 pm ((PST))
>> Last weekend I did my first recording with my shoulder-mounted
>> Telinga EM-23 mics into my LS-10. Gain was high-5 or 6. The
>> recording was noticeably noisier than the same mics with a Sharp MD-
>> MS722, gain L-15. I was planning to replace our Sharp MDs with
>> LS-10s, but now I'm not so sure. I'll try low gain and a higher pot
>> setting before I decide.

Today I did a series of experiments around my LS-10. I set up a ticking clo=
ck in a quiet room, and matched levels with a 1 KHz tone from a speaker wit=
h a probe to position it a fixed distance from the mic.

Telinga EM-23s into my old Sharp MD-MS722 (gain L/15) were 2 dBA quieter th=
an the same mics into the LS-10 (gain high/5.5). I could see the low-freque=
ncy broad-band noise that has been mentioned here extended up beyond 1 KHz.

EM-23s into the LS-10 with gain low/10 were 1 dBA quieter than the high/5.5=
 setting, and 1 dBA noisier than the Sharp, after boosting the gain 12 dB i=
n post.

I tried using a Sharp MD-MT90 as a preamp into the LS-10 line input. The no=
ise level measured the same as a Sharp MD recorder alone, but it didn't sou=
nd as good because the LS-10 still had rising low-frequency noise in this c=
onfiguration.

It's remarkable that a cheap 1998 recorder has a better signal-to-noise rat=
io than the latest thing. Too bad it won't record PCM files (ATRAC only).

Recording with the LS-10's own mics resulted in a 10 dB higher noise level.

-Dan Dugan