Re: LS-10 plus DPA 4060

Subject: Re: LS-10 plus DPA 4060
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:47 am ((PST))
On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Robin <> wrote:
> I know the DPA 4060 are small and have a nice frequency response, but the
> noise seems too much. By my calculations the EIN is -103 dBu(A). The
> low-sensitivity 4061 seems a better deal at -110 dBu(A), so long as you have
> enough clean gain in the recorder. Aren't there quieter options?
>
> I am confused in this regard; my respect for Chris Watson, Bernie Krause,
> etc. encourages me to understand their choices.

Fwiw for me they are interesting because they are in the top tier of
miniature mics you can get. The WLAs are in the same class I would
agree, but not nearly as small. (Still miniature compared to even MKH
80x0 series mics, but huge compared to the DPAs.)

Personally, most of my recording is not true 'nature recording' --
it's usually done wearing mics, often involving some human element
even when quiet; and I realized at a certain point that there was
point of diminished returns for pursuing quieter mics -- the noise of
my own presence became the limiting factor.

For true quiet there's definitely no comparison between my Sennheiser
MKH mics, but then, the difference in kit size and convenience is a
major factor for me -- for what I do. Which is, to be certain,
different from what most of us on the list here do. :)

aaron

--

  quietamerican.org
  oneminutevacation.org