Re: LS-10 plus DPA 4060

Subject: Re: LS-10 plus DPA 4060
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:05 pm ((PST))
> So, for the above, the loudest noise was from the EM-23 -> MT90 combo
> but low Hz noise from the LS-10's _line input_ was also audible?

The -lowest- A-weighted measured noise, 0.3 dB less than a straight MD-MS722
recording, but audibly noisier in the low frequencies when boosted in post.

> Does
> this suggest the noise could be created in the A-D or somehow
> upstream from both the mic and line inputs?

Yes.

> When I tested a MT-90 MD with NT1-A's a few years back, I got a
> pretty sizeable noise bump compared to a Hi-MD recorder:
> https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/type/www/audio-art-tech-gallery/pages/SD722_Rolls_HiMD_D7_MD_TRVmov.html
>
> The NT1-A's, being about 9 dB(A) quieter, reveal more of the pre
> differences.

I don't have a Hi-MD for comparison, but I'm pleased to hear that there's at
least one PIP preamp that exceeds my reference standards (Sharps).

> I agree its not encouraging that you can hear the input noise of the
> LS-10 with EM-23's, but its even more surprising that the L-10's
> circuit design would add noise to the line input.

 I was coming out of the headphone output of the Sharp to the LS-10 line in, so
there might be a noise source there, too.

> It would be
> telling to see if you can repeat/exaggerate this with combos using
> quieter mics like:
>
> AT-3203 -> 744T
>
> AT-30203 -> Port Phantom Supply -> LS-10 Mic Input
>
> AT-3203 -> MP2 -> LS-10 Line Input
>
> AT-30203 -> Port Phantom Supply -> Better of the MD recorders  Mic Input
>
> AT-30203 -> MP2 -> Better of the MD recorders  Line Input

Your turn!

-Dan Dugan