Re: LS-10 plus DPA 4060

Subject: Re: LS-10 plus DPA 4060
From: "Robin" escalation746
Date: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:56 pm ((PST))
Rob Danielson wrote:

> The noise ratings and computations, like those on
> the Rane Table 3, http://rane.com/note148.html rarely
> match real world noise performance.

One reason for that would be the differing frequency response of the noise.
Another would be differences in the measurement of the figures we pop into the
chart. No manufacturer ever says much about the bandwidth over which their SPL
calculations were made, for example.

It would be very easy for variations from manufacturer specs to change the
look-up EIN results by a few dB. And, as you say, we can distinguish well under
a dB. So the variation we get is way over any reasonable JND.

(That's why I value Raimund's work and others who provide a consistent
measurement environment.)

-- robin