Re: tape digitizing

Subject: Re: tape digitizing
From: "Marc Myers" primatemarc
Date: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:35 am ((PDT))
I think if you rely on any one media to safely store your files you are likely
to be disappointed.  Archiving is more a process than a media at this point. It
is not so much the media as how often one makes copies. I'm sure you know that
in professional IT environments they make incremental backups each day, keep
all incremental backups for a month or so and then make a full backup. A copy
of the full backup is taken off site and archived. More recently, the files are
spread over a cloud. The entire cloud is backed up.
For my own part at home, I keep all media on a RAID-5 array. This way any one
drive can fail without a problem. I also periodically back off the critical
files either to an external hard drive or DVD. These I ask a friend to hold for
safe keeping. Last, every couple of years I've purchased large storage, I copy
all the files to the new drive but keep the old one until it fails.