Re: tape digitizing

Subject: Re: tape digitizing
From: "John" jmccubbinmd
Date: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:00 pm ((PDT))
--- In  vickipowys <> wrote:

> All,
>
> So what is the current accepted way to archive digitized recordings?  =

> I use CD, DVD and hard drive and try to make multiple copies, but I
> don't have everything backed up on hard drives just yet.

In my opinion, hard drives are the best. Use more than one, and one off sit=
e if you are serious.  I'm not a huge fan of online backup services, but kn=
ow of people who have been bailed out by them.  The volume of stuff I back =
up is such that my DSL line would never rest so they haven't caught my curi=
osity just yet.

Google the longevity of a CD-R and you'll hear the manufacturers talk about=
 30-100 years.  That won't happen.  Tech circles talk in terms of 5-10.  DV=
D-R's are shorter than that if you are wanting high reliability.  I use the=
m all the time, but mostly to give data/recordings to other people.

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: