Re: tape digitizing

Subject: Re: tape digitizing
From: "simmosonics" simmosonics
Date: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:59 am ((PDT))
--- In  "John" <> wrote:

> In my opinion, hard drives are the best. Use more than one, and one off site
> if you are serious.

Good suggestion.

I'm currently using a Western Digital MyBook, it's marketed as a 2TB drive but
actually uses two 1TB drives. Supplied software allows it to be set up as a
RAID so that it offers only 1TB of storage that is mirrored on two parallel
drives (built-in redundancy). I also have a 1TB drive that is kept off-site
whenever possible. The biggest problem with that approach is keeping the
off-site disk in sync with the one at home - it's not much of a backup if it
doesn't contain what you just lost!

I very much like the *idea* of storing things on-line, but have yet to do it.

- Greg Simmons