Re: mkh-8020

Subject: Re: mkh-8020
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:30 pm ((PST))
> than the AT3032s.  And how much more for the 8040
> capsules only if you already have the 8020 with bodies?

Sadly the capsules are almost all of the cost, at least, in the current
pricing scheme. I looked into this, thinking it would be nice to get a set
of all the capsules (20, 40, and 50), but the capsules are something like
$200 or less less than full bodies. I guess the lion's share of the
electronics are in the capsule... :/

I have a (single) 8040 on order, I intend to run M/S using an MKH-800 as the
side mike. I have an MKH-30 that I may also try with it to see how they
mesh, though I think I'm selling that to a friend to pay for the 8040... :)

I'd been waiting for a used MKH-40 or -50 but thought I might as well try
the -8040 while they had introductory pricing, figuring the chance of it
holding value for resale if it didn't pan out was quite good... and that it
might mesh better with the -800.

Fwiw I tried running two 800s M/S but the fact that the mic is side
addressing made wind shielding a bear. Still working on that but in the
meantime having a more conventional end-address mic for center will make the
kit a lot more manageable...  (I was just listening to some recordings I did
in Blumlein with the 800s though that I like, I really like the image -- you
just can't get any moving subjects crossing front to back or you're in
trouble... and the mics are only near-coincident in that set up as I had
them mounted, side by side...)

 best,
  aaron

--