Re: mkh-8020

Subject: Re: mkh-8020
From: "Mike Feldman" gidney_n_cloyd
Date: Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:05 pm ((PST))
On 09 Jan, 2008, at 11:27 PM, Martyn Stewart wrote:
> Impressive video, Mike!

Please note that is not my work ... I just found the
link as one of the newest search engine hits on MKH-80?0.
(My only YouTube posting is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q6DW795sdA -- I've got
better stuff elsewhere, but little "nature").
> Gotta admit, the Neumann KM-184 sounded good compared.. are they good
> in high humidity? the frequency range though is nowhere compared with
> the 8020's... $799 v $1100...

Well the Neumann KM-184 is a simpler mic ... no switches and
DC biased instead of RF like the Senn, and they do make an
omni KM-183 (see Ty Ford review link below -- studio use,
not nature).  As DC biased mics, they' d be much more prone
to arcing from humitity the the MKH series.

The real question is if the MKH-80x0 mics sound better
than the MKH-x0  or do they sound "as good" but Senn
has figured out how to make them cheaper and sell
them at the same price point.  Here I'm talking about
how they sound vis-a-vis what I can hear (below 10KHz).
For the 20-40KHz band you'd need some specialized
testing and reviews.

http://homepage.mac.com/tyreeford/.cv/tyreeford/Sites/.Public/
Gear_Reviews_Mics/Neumann_KM_183_185%201.txt-zip.zip