Re: I heard the owl call my name

Subject: Re: I heard the owl call my name
From: "Martyn Stewart" mijdog2000
Date: Fri Nov 2, 2007 8:31 pm ((PDT))
My answer would be  almost unprintable here, Bernie!
As a species we have lost touch with the real world, we are
materialistic and greedy. we can not see past our own noses.
from the days of when i was a kid to present day we have destroyed
habitat after habitat, i remember when i was about 7 years of age
wondering what the word extinction meant, i looked at the Dodo, irish
elk, Passenger pigeon etc and wondered how the hell could we loose a
species and with it, a million years of history. 45 years on from then
there is so much on the brink and yet WE grow and flourish! we expand
without reason and we pillage the very earth we rely on for life.
Yet we look at non-native species and become judge and jury. Certain
animals have had to adapt to new horizons because of us.
We talk about new recorders and gadgets to record with, we talk about
low noise microphones and quiet pre-amps and yet the only thing that
is getting noisier is us.
I could record for ages when i was younger in pristine habitats, not
anymore. i believe half of this group would not know what a quiet
environment was if it crept up on them.... we don't do enough for the
world we live in and we are on a self destruct mission.
I dislike my own species because we have lost the very simple
fundamentals of life. Love, sharing and compassion.
To see a magical animal like a polar bear possibly disappear in 20
years is unthinkable, with a decrease in mankind it would stand a
chance as would many other species too.
How can a dove singing on someone's roof be bothersome or turkey's
clucking in the countryside compare to the mindless idiots who make
noises with their cars and off road vehicles etc?

You are right, Jim, Bernie. this surely is a conversation stopper, i
get a little depressed to say the least when all you can do is sit
back and watch us destroy each other.

off my environmental soap box..........

Martyn
Martyn Stewart