Re: I heard the owl call my name

Subject: Re: I heard the owl call my name
From: "" jerkabobber
Date: Sun Nov 4, 2007 9:18 pm ((PST))
Yes... lot's of great points. I especially like this one:

* And the biggest issue (in my mind) is what has been called "Nature
Deficiency Syndrome" in children, which is countered by "Ecological
Literacy". I.e. Young children need to experience nature or they'll
never feel a reason to protect it. To quote from a review of "Good
News From a Change" (because I can't find the book itself): teaching
children from early age about the workings of nature by immersing them
in it, will enhance and spread a new sense of awe, respect and good
environmental stewardship of the Earth.

I listen to quite a few nature/environmental news podcasts and this "NDS" (as
it's called) is mentioned often. There have been some studies and book(s) about
this. I heard a news report that National Park attendance is down and still
dropping, and what is thought of as a problem is the kids (families)?now-a-days
aren't getting out there and seeing the parks. Which in the long?run, may
affect funding, caring and protection for the?parks when these kids grow up and
start voting, passing laws,?and paying taxes.?A sad downward spiral.
All it took for me was having woods all around my house growing up to get me
interested in nature, then I joined the boy scouts at 11 and that opened the
flood gates.

Check Out the new free AIM(R) Mail -- Unlimited storage and industry-leading
spam and email virus protection.

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: