Re: recording rig advice

Subject: Re: recording rig advice
From: "evs" onomatopoetik
Date: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:03 am (PDT)

Posted by:  "Tim Nielsen"
> Poke it up close
> to something, aim it all around, and hear what I can hear. With stand
> mounted stereo pairs, this just seems like it'd be much more
> cumbersome. With the MS rigs, I'm just so much more mobile and
> flexible.

Posted by: "Walter Knapp"
> This is one reason why you should probably not choose a mic
> you dislike, your brain will make everything it records sound bad
> because you dislike it. Just as with a mic you really like you will
> overlook it's faults and not hear them.

yes, that sounds true. maybe the best way is to try a few
combinations befor buying. (and thats not easy, find a dealer who
gots all the combination you want to try:-))

Tim, When i hear you talking, ms is getting more and more sympathetic
to me. in the end i maybe just have to try different things out for
some days. you=B4re right, the big plus for ms is that you are
flexibel. its a even bigger plus because this sounds true to my
application as well, because to aim the mic around, just to hear how
different it will sound, is even interesting if i just record some
subtle wind.
  with some ms schoeps you are even more flexibel because, if you
just have the capsules in a windshild, its really tiny compared to
the sennheiser ms rig. but if the sennheiser make less noise and
sounding better its maybe better to carry a little more...

but i want to throw in 2 other words. anybody tryd earthworks
microphones? the sr series or the qtc series? maybe they are not so
resistant for using outdoors?
and anybody used MBHO microphones? just read about them a few minutes
ago, so i don=B4t no anything about them. anyone has a idea?

all the best
evs