Re: recording rig advice

Subject: Re: recording rig advice
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:55 am (PDT)
At 7:21 PM -0400 8/22/06, Walter Knapp wrote:
>Posted by: "Tim Nielsen"
>
>>  But what I've found with a single zepp MS setup, hand-holding, is=A0
>>  that I'm much more free to experiment with mic placement. I can walk=A0
>>  around, moving the mics, listening to the response. Poke it up close=A0
>>  to something, aim it all around, and hear what I can hear. With stand=
=A0
>>  mounted stereo pairs, this just seems like it'd be much more=A0
>>  cumbersome.  With the MS rigs, I'm just so much more mobile and=A0
>>  flexible.
>
>About the same as I do. Even small variations in direction or location
>sometimes make a big difference. My tall rig I usually also do some
>listening before setting it up. And one big use of it is to set it when
>I go to bed camping in the truck. I normally set it close enough I can
>reach out and rotate it if I picked the wrong direction. Kind of luxury
>recording with the recorder right beside me I don't even have to get out
>of bed. Though no mobility.
>me weight. The Telinga is also nice and light, though the dish is
>always a problem stuffing through the brush. The large diaphragm setup
>I'm working on is going to be a problem for weight (2 Rode NT2000's). I
>don't think I'll hand hold it much.
>
>Walt

I think it also depends on what one's
applications for the recording are. Ambience in
quiet locations can present a whole new order of
limitations. For example, I noticed that in the
rustling leaves section of Tim's Schoeps M-S rig
example that I looped (~3:55 in), there's a
fairly steady patter of >35Hz "bumps" which sound
like the mic cable movement in shock mount he's
using.  Some folks use shelf filtering and "roll
off" this part of the spectrum, but for full
fidelity playback on speakers or headphones, such
bumps restrict one's options. Jeremiah's comment,
"There's no way around using a stand/tripod if
you need to record very quiet sounds." is
consistent with my experience. Rob D.