Re: recording rig advice

Subject: Re: recording rig advice
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:41 pm (PDT)
Posted by: "Rob Danielson"

> I think it also depends on what one's
> applications for the recording are. Ambience in
> quiet locations can present a whole new order of
> limitations. For example, I noticed that in the
> rustling leaves section of Tim's Schoeps M-S rig
> example that I looped (~3:55 in), there's a
> fairly steady patter of >35Hz "bumps" which sound
> like the mic cable movement in shock mount he's
> using.  Some folks use shelf filtering and "roll
> off" this part of the spectrum, but for full
> fidelity playback on speakers or headphones, such
> bumps restrict one's options. Jeremiah's comment,
> "There's no way around using a stand/tripod if
> you need to record very quiet sounds." is
> consistent with my experience. Rob D.

It does take practice to hand hold under quiet conditions. My limiting
factor with my mics is when they start picking up my breathing no matter
which side of them I'm on.

And, if you are going to make long recordings then putting the mics on
tripods makes sense. I try to avoid shot gunning as I hate spending long
periods at the computer listening for the few good bits.

So Jeremiah is at least partially right. So are those, myself included,
who do hand hold in very quiet environments for the flexibility. Either
way contains some compromise.