Re: recording rig advice

Subject: Re: recording rig advice
From: "Tim Nielsen" supernielsen
Date: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:39 am (PDT)
Nicely put Walt. There certainly is no 'best' stereo method, you're
right, and I have several for that same reason.

But what I've found with a single zepp MS setup, hand-holding, is
that I'm much more free to experiment with mic placement. I can walk
around, moving the mics, listening to the response. Poke it up close
to something, aim it all around, and hear what I can hear. With stand
mounted stereo pairs, this just seems like it'd be much more
cumbersome.  With the MS rigs, I'm just so much more mobile and
flexible.

That's I suppose the main benefit of MS to me, is how portable and
fast it can be. I have the cable terminating in an XLR-5 in the
handle of the Rycote, and I can be plugged in and recording in 30
seconds or so. And when time to keep walking, power down, unplug and
ready to go.

Since I do mostly film work as well, mono compatibility was important
to me, which it might not be for some.

Tim