Re: Sennheiser MKH MS setup

Subject: Re: Sennheiser MKH MS setup
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:56 pm (PDT)
Posted by: "Tim Nielsen"

> Hi all. I just picked up a pair of Sennheiser MKH's, an MKH30 and an
> MKH50, to be used in MS. I'm wondering those of you using this rig
> (or a 30/40 combo), which Rycote you ended up using (if using a Rycote).
>
> I'm thinking of mounting this in a size 3 mono windshield kit. I know =

> it's going to be a tight fit, but the stereo Rycote windshield is
> just too darn big. Rycote is telling me that I can pull it off, but
> am curious if anyone else has already done it. Have you found any
> problems?

I initially tried mounting my MS MKH-40/30 in a rycote modular mono
suspension. It was very hard to get the rig to suspend without getting
too close to the metal suspension ring and occasionally hitting it. It
can be done, but it's tricky and you will probably be fiddling with the
adjustments a lot.

I then tried a Sennheiser mono suspension and it was much easier,
primarily due to the Sennheiser not using a complete ring but being open
at the top. I mount the mid with mono clips and then mount the side to
that with dual clips. You can see the result:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/ms_setups.html

I've used this setup for several years and it's been very satisfactory.
The only modification I've done since the photos on the page above was
to add knit baby socks right on the mics for another layer of
protection. Makes it so you can do without the fur a little more often.

The Sennheiser setup is in all sorts of ways much more robust than
rycote's. Used Rycote zeppelins are often full of cracks in the plastic,
you don't see that much with used Sennheiser. Also the Sennheiser design
is much easier and quicker to put together and take apart than the Rycote.

Anyway, once I tried the Sennheiser I did not experiment more with the
Rycote.

I do use a Rycote Stereo setup with a pair of MKH-80's in M/S but
eventually plan on designing my own setup there, probably using Mono
sizes for the zeppelin. In a way the MS Rode NT2000's I'm working on
suspending and wind protecting are the test bed for what I'll do with
the MKH-80's.