Re: Sennheiser MKH MS setup

Subject: Re: Sennheiser MKH MS setup
From: "Tim Nielsen" supernielsen
Date: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:28 am (PDT)
Bernie, the Rycotes you're using with your MS rigs, are they the
large official 'stereo' Rycote, or have you done it with a mono size
windshield kit...

I used to own one of the Rycote stereo MS windshield kits, years ago,
and used it with my Schoeps MS setup. But it was too big for such
little mics, and was in my opinion, lots of wasted space.

At the moment, both my Schoeps MS rigs are mounted in Rycote mono
windshields, size 1, the smallest. And it works awesome. The Schoeps
are small enough that there is plenty of room, I've swapped out clips
for MS clips, got some thicker and smaller bands, which are more
taught, and they've been working great, and it's SOO small, and very
isolated from handling noise. I'm sure wind-noise isn't as protected
as it would be with the stereo, but that's a trade off I'm willing to
make for keeping it smaller.

Now that I have this Sennheiser set, I want to do basically the same
thing. That stereo zepplin, it's just too big. So I'm hoping to mount
these in a smaller mono zepp again (which is similar to what the
Sennheiser zepplin is). I don't normally use the foam windscreens,
and I suppose if I put the MKHs in a mono zepp, they probably
wouldn't fit. I need to experiment a bit.

I bought a DPA Windpac for the MKHs, thinking it would be a great
really portable setup, the windshield collapses, the shockmount is
small. But so far I've found that it's nearly impossible to hand-hold
the Windpac. It's just too noisy, too much handling noise. And since
it doesn't have a handle, it's kind of awkward to handle. I'll either
return it, or maybe keep it for times I know I'm going to stand mount
the mics, I think it'd be fine for that.

I must say, I do love my Schoeps, and in the 10 years I've been
recording with them, they have NEVER failed me. I know the Senns are
bullet proof, and definitely quieter than the Schoeps, but the
Schoeps I think are pretty durable too. One my MS pairs I bought from
a production sound recordist who had been using them for about 20
years, so by now they're probably 35 years old. And still sound
great. But the new MKHs sound fantastic too.

Thanks all.

Tim