Re: Sennheiser MKH MS setup

Subject: Re: Sennheiser MKH MS setup
From: "cfmspencer" cfmspencer
Date: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:03 pm (PDT)
--- In  Tim Nielsen <> wrote:

> And lastly, a 20/30 combo? Really? So you're actual stereo field of
> view is a 180 degrees, don't you find that way wide? An omni with a
> figure 8 basically generates an MS stereo image identical to the
> pickup pattern of the figure 8. Am curious how you've found it.
>

> Tim

Tim,
thanks for the very detailed impressions on the Windpac.

as for the 20/30 combo, the acquisition was somewhat
happenstance, but still consistent I think with some of my
current goals, which are to record the ambient sounds
in their entirety (for video recordings), and in stereo.

this is all new to me, but as I understand it, yes, you
are correct, a 20/30 M-S combo has a field of view(?) like
two cardioids pointed in opposite directions, which is to
say it captures everything.

it's good for some effects I am after, although it
appears that I will want 4-channel eventually.

no doubt, I will get a 40 or 50 at some point to play with as well.
I also have a Rode NTG-2, which should work out pretty well
with the 30 until then.

I found the 30 with full warranty at Pure Sound for $1050.
they had a 20, also with full warranty, for an extra $1000,
so I got them both.

any thoughts on factors used in choosing a 40 versus a 50?

cheers,
clay